Monday, June 06, 2005

Sometimes the Internet is a Pain in the Ass

There is nothing in the world I love more than the Tonys! Unlike American Idol, it celebrates real talent and actual accomplishment. However, Americans don't seem to care because every year fewer and fewer people watch the Tonys broadcast on television.

These declining ratings can lead to some oddities. For the past several years the first hour of the Tonys was broadcast on PBS, with the "big awards" being given out on CBS. I guess the ratings weren't good enough for PBS (how bad is that?!) because they switched to an Internet broadcast this year.

Now, I'm a die hard fan, but it wasn't even worth it for me. It took forever to make it work and once I did, I had to ruin my eyes trying to watch it on the 12 inch screen of my iMac. I finally turned it off and decided I'd just watch the recap on the CBS broadcast.

All of this leads me to two conclusions:
1) The Internet is not television - yet. Maybe someday we'll watch our computers like our TV's, but right now it's a big pain. If you want people to see your event, you need to make it easy. Right now, the Internet isn't easy or convenient for most of us.

2) Norbert Leo Butz rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home