Thursday, June 30, 2005

Claritas is Full of It

PressControlShift's post on Do It Yourself Narrowcasting was really interesting. It was great to see an example of the lifestyle segmentation done by Claritas, but I don't exactly trust their assessments.

I looked up my neighborhood in Kansas City, where I lived most of my adult life (64111), which is an eclectic urban mix of ethnicities, ages and incomes. One of the segments listed were "Urban Elders," which is definitely a part of the neighborhood.

Claritas describes "Urban Elders" as " ... communities have high concentrations of Hispanics and African-Americans, and tend to be downscale, with singles living in older apartment rentals." It also lists the median household income as $21,908.

After all that, it says these people shop at Banana Republic.

There is indeed a Banana Republic very close to my old neighborhood, but I seriously doubt anyone who is over 55 and living on $21,000/year shops there. They aren't paying $50 for a shirt at Banana, they are paying $5 at Walmart.

I pity the Banana Republic executive who decides to target their new marketing campaign to this segment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home