Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Ethics of Persuasion

Reading Persuasive Technology this week, I couldn't help but recall an incident from my youth:

When I was a little kid I saw a small, black and white advertisement in the back of a kid's magazine. The ad talked about how your signature is an important indicator of character and how, in the adult world, people always judge you on your signature. It then went on to offer 3 new and better signatures and instructions on how to change your signature for the low price of only $1.50.

Well, I couldn't pass up that offer for the key to a better and more successful life, so I sent in my $1.50 and waited anxiously by the mailbox for my new signatures to arrive. After 6 long weeks my package arrived. It consisted of three pieces of paper on which someone had signed my name and a slip of paper instructing me to use tracing paper (not included) to trace the new signature I wanted.

Unethical persuasion? Perhaps
Important life lesson? You betcha!

It doesn't take music and fancy graphics on a computer for unethical persuasion to take place. It worked pretty well on me with just some words on a page.

Children are, indeed, an extremely vulnerable group when it comes to exploitation through persuasive technology, but unethical individuals have always looked for new ways to exploit them. While it is our responsibility to examine the ethical ramifications of our work, it is even more important that parents and teachers teach children at an early age to avoid and combat exploitation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home